Monday, August 18, 2008

Oregon State Champion!


This weekend was the Oregon state championships at Willamette pass. It was a great weekend...we got out of portland right before we melted!! Drove down to Willamette pass friday night, got in around midnight, set up camp and snoozed in the cool mountain air (verses the 100 degree portland air). Wonderful I say! Saturday morning, woke up, fried up some juevos and queso, packed up the bikes and hit the slopes. They changed the course on us again. The pro/expert course was steeper and more blown out this time, but they took out most of the big drops. Overall this course was easier, but you had to be able to keep it together in the steep, rutted out sections. Saturday I rode the sport course for fun and to check it out. Not as steep but just as blown out. Then practiced the pro/expert course. Holy crap was it HOT!! It was gondola access, so you sat in a hot box in full gear for 20 minutes. Luckily we were camped right on the lake. So, straight back to the campspot for some sun, some swimming and some cervezas!
Race morning came waay to early. It was a pretty warm night so I didn't sleep very well. No fans in the mountains. Did a practice run, man do those hurt! Working out all the lactic acid in your hands from the day before...ouch! The race format was best time out of two runs. My first run went....well it went. :) I forgot how to ride my bike on the top part...fell over and got stuck to my bike because I couldn't get clipped out. But the bottom part I was rockin'. Had a decent time, but I knew I could go faster. So the next run...I decided to take it a little easier in the top section. I actually had a great, fast run in the top section so I decided to push it a little more in the bottom section. I rocked it! What a great feeling! I ended up shaving 11 seconds off my time. It was a great feeling. I haven't been racing, or even riding my bike half as much as I used to because I have been in the midst of starting my chiropractic practice. It's nice to know I can still pull some stuff out when I need to. Couple more downhill races this season, then it's off to cross season. That should make for some interesting stories!! Stay tune!!!

No comments: