Friday, July 3, 2009

First Short track race




I've decided this year to branch out and try more cycling disciplines. Portland has a great, local, Monday night short track series...so I thought.."What the hey?" I called my best cheerleaders (sister Laura and friend Cindy) and asked them if they wanted to check out the Portland International Raceway short track races. "SURE!!!" The best thing about the PIR short track is that about 50% of the track is on their motocross track...super FUN!! Woops and jumps and super bermed turns.

While I was checking out the course and chatting with my sister, a woman in a Velobella shirt came up and introduced herself. She said this was her first short track race ever and she had a blast! We exchanged pleasantries, chatted about biking and Velobella. Every time I am at a race wearing a kit, I always have someone come up to me and introduce themselves. They are either a fellow bella, or they know someone who is or was. It's so great!!

I didn't get a chance to warm up on the track, so I tried to get a good start so I could follow the people who knew the course. I started out in about 4th place in Pro/Open women, after about a minute, I passed 3rd and pretty much stayed in 3rd the whole time. Sue Butler was in first (she is an ANIMAL!! :) ) and Alice Pennington (another local animal) was in second. I was actually in 1st place for about 30 seconds when they missed a turn and I caught up to them and made the turn while they were backtracing on the course. They stayed in my sight for the first 4 laps, and then they were about a minute ahead of me. I had a very solid 3rd place the entire time. I was pretty stoked, and I was having a blast!!


Still smiling, after the race!

No comments: