Sunday, October 26, 2008

5 girls, 4 dogs, 2 bikes and a 1/2 pound cheesburger.



Holy crap! That HURT! Do not...I repeat, DO NOT go booty dancin' with married women the day before a race. No bueno! We decided that friday night was going to be girls night out, and then had the brilliant idea to race cross on saturday. It was a hard wake up, I knew the race wasn't going to go that well. My teammate Carrie and I left Portland about 9:30, my sister, two of her friends and their pack of canines left Portland around 10:30. Carrie and I got to Astoria with about 1 and 1/2 hours to spare. Time for registration, quick check of the course and lots of water consumption! Cross Crusade changed their start format, so I actually got called to line up. Pretty cool hearing my name called. Now for the race. After the first lap, I started seeing double and couldn't focus on the course (sometimes I stroke out when I'm riding hard)...so that sucked. I couldn't really see the course, so I would just tuck in behind someone who was going a pace I could keep up with and just stayed on their wheel. Couldn't really pass anyone because I couldn't see the course. This course had some pretty long hill climbs, more than what I expected for a course at a fairgrounds. We did get to go through all the barns tho, allll of the barns. :)

This was a race of survival, not a race for placing. I'm pretty stoked I stayed in the whole race tho. Usually I don't get double vision until the very end of a race. Well, I ended up 9th, not too bad, but not what I was hoping for. After the race, the girls and I went back to the hotel and freshened up, then went to the beach. We checked out the shipwreck at Fort Stevens. It was beautiful, we got there right around sunset.


Came back, drove over the long bridge, made fun of my sister because she is scared of heights (I know, not nice, very childish...but her reactions are worth it!). Went out to the local pub for some karaoke...good stuff. Doing it all again today! Weather is perfect so far, no clouds, no fog, crisp and cool!

No comments: